Policy, Resources & Economic Development Committee
Purpose of committee
Policy, Resources and Economic Development Committee
The committee shall consider all matters of policy and strategic importance to the Council including matters referred to it by other Committees and/or Chief Officers.
1. The function within the remit of the Policy, Resources and Economic Development Committee include all financial matters relating to the budget, (and for avoidance of doubt, being the superior Committee on all such matters including capital, revenue and the Housing Revenue Account (HRA) except where the law otherwise requires), and without prejudice to the generality of this, include the specific functions which are set out below.
Generally to review and oversee the co-ordination and governance of all functions of the Council. To undertake and discharge any functions in relation to strategic policies including periodic reviews of the policy framework adopted by full Council from time to time except where required by law to be undertaken elsewhere.
1) Financial Services
2) Contracts, commissioning, procurement
3) Legal services
4) Health and safety at work (in so far as it relates to the Council as an employer)
5) Corporate communications and media protocols
6) Corporate and Democratic services
7) Human resources
8) Information Communication Technology
9) Revenues and Benefits
10) Customer Services
11) Assets (strategically)
2. Overall responsibility for monitoring Council performance.
3. To formulate and develop relevant corporate policy documents and strategies including the Corporate Plan.
4. To formulate the budget proposals in accordance with the Budget and Policy Framework, including capital and revenue spending, and the Housing Revenue Account Business Plan (including rent setting for Council homes), in accordance with the Council’s priorities and make recommendations to Council for approval.
5. To formulate the Council’s Borrowing and Investment Strategy and make recommendations to Council for approval.
6. To take decisions on spending within the annual budget to ensure delivery of the Council’s priorities.
7. To approve the write off of any outstanding debt owed to the Council above the delegated limit of £5,000.
8. To determine capital grant applications.
9. To make recommendations on the allocation and use of resources to achieve the council’s priorities.
10.To manage and monitor the Council approved budgets and allocation of resources.
11.To provide the lead on partnership working including the joint delivery of services.
12.To consider any staffing matters that are not delegated to Officers, such as proposals that are not contained within existing budgetary provision.
13.To strategically manage any lands or property of the council and provide strategic property advice relating to the council’s Housing Stock and without prejudice to the generality of this, to specifically undertake the following-
The Council’s Asset Management Plan
(a) The acquisition and disposal of land and property and taking of leases, licenses, dedications and easements.
(b) The granting variation renewal review management and termination of leases, licenses, dedications and easements.
(c) Promoting the use of Council owned assets by the local community and other interested parties.
(d) To manage any lands or property of the Council;
(e) To include properties within the council’s Asset Management Portfolio including Halls etc.
(f) To take a strategic approach to asset management, ensuring that the use of all of the Council’s Property assets achieves Value for Money and supports the achievement of the Council’s corporate priorities.
(g) To review the corporate Asset Management Plan annually.
(h) The acquisition of land in advance of requirements for the benefit, improvement or development of the Borough.
(i) Disposal of land surplus to the requirements of a council function.
(j) Appropriation of land surplus for the requirements of another Council function.
(k) Promote the use of Council owned assets by the local community and other interested parties where appropriate.
(l) Property and asset management, including acquisitions and disposals not included in the approved Asset Management Plan.
(m)To receive updates reports on the Asset Development Programme and the work of the Asset Development Programme and Project Board.
(n) To take a strategic approach to commercial activity, both existing and new, ensuring the Council realises revenue generation opportunities and supports the achievement of the Council’s corporate priorities.
(o) To agree and monitor the governance arrangements for any commercial and/or partnership arrangement with the Council.
(p) Promoting a culture of entrepreneurialism and building the required skills and capacity.
(q) To consider and approve business cases and commercial business plans for commercial activity.
14. To consider and propose matters concerning the promotion of economic development throughout the Borough and the interface with countryside or regional economic development initiatives.
(a) To lead, consider and propose matters concerning the promotion of economic development throughout the Borough and the interface with countrywide or regional economic development initiatives.
(b) To promote and encourage enterprise and investment in the Borough in order to maintain and sustain the economic wellbeing and regeneration of the area.
(c) To develop climate where businesses and individuals can innovate, compete and contribute to the economic development and regeneration of the area; and excellence in local business.
(d) To encourage the growth of existing businesses in the borough and access to the skills and training necessary to support them.
(e) To develop and deliver a Borough wide initiative on apprenticeships.
(f) To consider and determine matters relating to the promotion, maintenance and enhancement of the vitality and viability of shopping centres within the Borough.
(g) To consult with the Chamber of Commerce, Federation of Small Businesses, residents and other interested third parties.
(h) To maintain a special interest in promoting employment in the Borough.
(i) To promote and encourage tourism and heritage.
(j) Parking (off street parking provision in Council owned/leased off-street parking places).
(k) Any matters relating to Crossrail.
15.To consider a report from the Monitoring Officer at the beginning of the Municipal Year, for the Committee to appoint the membership of the Constitution Working Group, in order for the Monitoring Officer to consult with such Members on the regular review of the Constitution documentation in accordance with Article 12 of the Constitution during the year.
16.To review and facilitate the transformation of delivery of services.
(a) To approve and facilitate the transformation of delivery of services.
(a) To identify, monitor and oversee the implementation of those Corporate Projects that have been agreed by the committee to be major.
(a) To advise the Audit & Scrutiny Committee of any matters that require scrutiny in accordance with the Audit and Scrutiny Procedure Rules.
(b) To receive requests and determine on matters that require scrutiny from any Committee in accordance with the Audit and Scrutiny Procedure Rules.
17.To consider any requests for sponsorship and use of the Council’s Coats of Arms and logos.
- Councillor Chris Hossack (Chair)
- Councillor Keith Parker (Vice-Chair)
- Councillor Gareth Barrett
- Councillor Sarah Cloke
- Councillor Mark Lewis
- Councillor Philip Mynott
- Councillor Mrs Maria Pearson
- Councillor Cliff Poppy
- Councillor Lesley Wagland
- Councillor Barry Aspinell (Substitute)
- Councillor Dr Tim Barrett (Substitute)
- Councillor Mrs Noelle Hones (Substitute)
- Councillor David Kendall (Substitute)
- Councillor Tom McLaren (Substitute)
- Councillor Will Russell (Substitute)
- Zoey Foakes (Secretary)
Support officer: Zoey Foakes (01277 312 733).
Phone: 01277 312 733